Skip to main content

Thanksgiving 2019

Thanksgiving is THIS week and many of us are in planning/preparation mode. If someone living with dementia will be a part of your holiday gathering, I want you to say this phrase aloud and use it to guide your interactions with that loved one... 

"Less is best"

Did you say it out loud? Are you thinking this doesn't apply to your situation? 

Seriously, I have seen this every year for the 17 years I've worked in dementia care. I say this with deep love and respect, knowing that your intentions are good... When planning holiday time with a loved one living with dementia, you must think LESS.

Less people around.

Less time/duration of visits.

Less food options.

Less extravagant gifts.

Less decorations.

Less travel.

Less changes to the person’s normal routine.  

Less snippy over-stressed family members around. (sorry, were those your toes I just stepped on, friend?)

Less stimulation.

Are you catching my drift here? Less is more!

Less everything!

If you want more information, I have some practical tips just for you. Please message me or comment below with your email address. I would love to share ideas that may help make the holiday season more enjoyable for you and your loved one living with dementia. 

Take good care, friends. 

Rebekah Wilson, MSW
Aging Care Coach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Dementia: Part 2

There was too much to share about dementia & holiday planning in the last post, so I wanted to share more in a follow-up. Here we go, let's be real here... Many of us have a Norman Rockwell scene in our heads when we plan for the holidays.  Am I right?  In reality, our family scenes look more like a combination of  Everybody loves Raymond, Rosanne, and the Sopranos.  The holidays can be overstimulating and emotional for many of us. When caring for someone who is living with dementia, it can be tempting to overdue All. The. Things. Especially our expectations. (Warning: Real Talk!) As we watch a loved one decline with dementia, it's natural to wonder if this could *gulp* be their last holiday. Consequently, we have the dangerous combination of heightened expectations mixed with sadness that dementia is slowly taking away our loved one.  Caregiver grief rises and is often masked by the desire to make the most of the day, the holiday. Generally speaki

Sexuality in Dementia

I'm going to be real here... The reality of the situation is that I have avoided blogging about this topic for months because it such a difficult topic. It's not difficult because I find the topic uncomfortable. I am not a prude, per se. We are adults. And by now, you all know I'm all about tacking tough topics of dementia care. The reason I've avoided writing about the topic is because there is absolutely no way that I can wrap this topic up in 750 words with a pretty little bow on top. No way, it's much too complex for that.  To start, "Sexuality in Dementia" encompasses such a wide variety of issues...foul/sexual language, suggestive comments, touching self/others, exposing self/others, masturbation, requesting sexual acts, and extra-marital relations when the person living with dementia no longer recalls they have a living spouse/partner and have found a new companion... to name a few.  See what I mean? That's quite a variety of situa

“You want me to lie to my Dad?”

“You want me to lie to my Dad?” Yes. Well, no not really. I like to consider it a therapeutic fib, rather than a “lie”. Some may consider it a lie. I don’t really care what we call it as long as it is done taking their brain changes in mind with the focus on what is most supportive for the person living with dementia.  Following a recent presentation on “Transitions Along the Journey of Dementia”, a participant came up to discuss her situation. She shared that her father, who is now living with moderate dementia, repeatedly asks about his parents. To date, she has explained that his parents are deceased. She went on to tell me that in order to disrupt the pattern of this repetitive question, earlier that day she had placed photographs of both of his parents’ grave stones on his dresser mirror. After hearing me talk about “joining the journey” rather than “reality orientation”, she asked me if I thought she should remove the pictures. I mustered as much compassion and g