Skip to main content

Holidays and Dementia: Part 2


There was too much to share about dementia & holiday planning in the last post, so I wanted to share more in a follow-up. Here we go, let's be real here... Many of us have a Norman Rockwell scene in our heads when we plan for the holidays. Am I right? 





In reality, our family scenes look more like a combination of Everybody loves Raymond, Rosanne, and the Sopranos. 

The holidays can be overstimulating and emotional for many of us. When caring for someone who is living with dementia, it can be tempting to overdue All. The. Things. Especially our expectations. (Warning: Real Talk!) As we watch a loved one decline with dementia, it's natural to wonder if this could *gulp* be their last holiday. Consequently, we have the dangerous combination of heightened expectations mixed with sadness that dementia is slowly taking away our loved one. 


Caregiver grief rises and is often masked by the desire to make the most of the day, the holiday. Generally speaking, that is not a bad thing. Living ‘in the moment’ is highly encouraged in dementia care. Unfortunately for less aware dementia caregivers, this can mean expecting too much of the person with dementia who now relies heavily on routine and an environment that supports their brain changes. 

Please know that I Get You. I absolutely know that you love the person in your life who is living with dementia. I also absolutely know that dementia stinks! I hate what it does to people and families. Can we sit there for a minute? Sometimes sitting with this reality and allowing those emotions to actually rise to the surface rather than pounding them down with "Doing" will help us hit the much needed "Reset" button. This allows us to refocus on our main goal which is always the best place to start. 

What are your goals for your holiday gathering that involved someone living with dementia? If your goal is to have the Normal Rockwell experience, well come on that is not gonna happen - dementia or not. That is just not real life. How about the goal of simply sharing the joy and the meaning of the holiday with them? If that is your goal, remain laser focused on that and simplify your expectations. Express gratitude for who they are and what they have meant to your life. Help them feel comfortable in a world that is changing and unsettling for them because of their brain changes. Give extra hugs. Quietly play their favorite music in the background. Be attentive to their emotions and behaviors. Limit the amount of people engaging them at once. Let them retreat to a quiet space if needed. Enjoy the delight on their face when they take a bite of pumpkin pie - and for the love, let them eat all the sweets they want! 

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to hit you all hard with some more Real Talk because we know Thursday is just the start of the wild and wonderful Holiday season. My goal is to help you along your journey. 

Take good care, friends. 

Rebekah Wilson, MSW
Aging Care Coach

Comments

  1. So well timed, contemplating what is best for my husband a Thanksgiving in the nursing home or taking him to his sisters for a holiday party with a bout 20 family members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I understand your dilemma. Please know that you can't make a 'wrong' decision as long as you do what you feel is best in the moment. Please let me know if I can help provide further guidance. My email is rebekahwilson22@gmail.com or you can call/text me at 901.581.2204

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sexuality in Dementia

I'm going to be real here... The reality of the situation is that I have avoided blogging about this topic for months because it such a difficult topic. It's not difficult because I find the topic uncomfortable. I am not a prude, per se. We are adults. And by now, you all know I'm all about tacking tough topics of dementia care. The reason I've avoided writing about the topic is because there is absolutely no way that I can wrap this topic up in 750 words with a pretty little bow on top. No way, it's much too complex for that.  To start, "Sexuality in Dementia" encompasses such a wide variety of issues...foul/sexual language, suggestive comments, touching self/others, exposing self/others, masturbation, requesting sexual acts, and extra-marital relations when the person living with dementia no longer recalls they have a living spouse/partner and have found a new companion... to name a few.  See what I mean? That's quite a variety of situa

“You want me to lie to my Dad?”

“You want me to lie to my Dad?” Yes. Well, no not really. I like to consider it a therapeutic fib, rather than a “lie”. Some may consider it a lie. I don’t really care what we call it as long as it is done taking their brain changes in mind with the focus on what is most supportive for the person living with dementia.  Following a recent presentation on “Transitions Along the Journey of Dementia”, a participant came up to discuss her situation. She shared that her father, who is now living with moderate dementia, repeatedly asks about his parents. To date, she has explained that his parents are deceased. She went on to tell me that in order to disrupt the pattern of this repetitive question, earlier that day she had placed photographs of both of his parents’ grave stones on his dresser mirror. After hearing me talk about “joining the journey” rather than “reality orientation”, she asked me if I thought she should remove the pictures. I mustered as much compassion and g