Skip to main content

De Colores & the Magic of Vitamin M


Recently, I returned to Phoenix, AZ where I work as an independent contractor/consultant with my former employer Hospice of the Valley. I previously lived in the Phoenix area for 9 years, originally moving there for graduate school then staying an extra 7 years until my husband's work took us on our next adventure. Since my dementia work all started in Phoenix, returning feels like a return to my roots. Collaborating with my original mentors again feels comforting in a sense because they helped shape the foundation of my career. These women also keep me on my toes because they have continued to evolve and strive to elevate dementia care efforts. They are truly special humans.

There will always be new ideas and approaches in dementia care because as the saying goes "when we know better, we do better". There is still so much to understand about dementia, so we are all learning together. With that said, there are also some truths that remain true over the years and decades. One of those lessons I learned in early 2000s that remains true to this day is the powerful impact of music in connecting with those living with brain change (dementia). 

Through the years, I have seen some pretty amazing connections made with music, even with individuals in moderate and advanced stages of dementia. However, there are some considerations and adaptations that must be made to maximize the impact of music's magic. Without these adaptations, the person may not engage in the way we'd hope. 

I was reminded of this lesson when in Phoenix last month. As a part of my work there, I had the privilege of doing joint visits with social workers on the specialized pre-hospice dementia education/support program. On a late afternoon visit, we met with a gentleman living with dementia and two of his adult children currently in their late 50s/early 60s. The daughter lives with their father because of his need for additional support. Her siblings visit and offer support as needed, including being a part of these visits with the Dementia Educator Social Worker when possible. 

During our discussion, the daughter mentioned that she feels her father is sleeping more and she is concerned that boredom may be a contributing factor. She laughed and said that he must get tired of just interacting with her and not being around others as often as he used to before dementia. We began to explore ways that this man used to enjoy spending 'free time'. They discussed some previous hobbies and leisure activities he enjoyed throughout his life - each followed by an explanation of why he can no longer do them. In return, we (respectfully) offered suggestions of ways to engage him using these lifelong interests with modifications that would allow him to still enjoy them and feel successful - making them as failure-free as possible.

The son mentioned that he plays guitar and sings in a Mariachi band. He said that he used to bring his guitar on visits to his father's home and they would play music and sing for hours. There was a  twinkle in their eyes as the recalled these music sessions, such special memories that he felt were strictly in the past. He went on the explain that he no longer tried to engage his father with music because his dad no longer seemed to enjoy it. I began to suggest modifications that I have learned from my mentors that I have seen make a difference in the effectiveness of using music with those living with dementia - such as significantly slowing down the tempo of songs, singing at a lower pitch rather than a lot of high notes, focusing on the chorus instead of the verses (that most of us don't know as well), repeating the chorus multiple (3-4) times, and using music from the person's late teens and 20's which will always be the most impactful for tapping into the heart and soul of the person.

As we discussed these modifications, I noticed a dusty guitar leaning against the wall in the corner of room. I asked the son if he could give it a try using the modifications I suggested. He obliged, though I could tell he didn't expect much of the experience. He asked my colleague, a bilingual Social Worker, if she knows the song De Colores. She said yes and he began to tune the guitar. Soon enough, they began the song and the patient - the one who reportedly no longer enjoyed music because of his progressed dementia - immediately began singing along. He harmonized with his son and even added flair to each section.

Y'all, I'm not trying to be dramatic here, but I will tell you that it was a beautiful sight. I know very little Spanish so I only caught words here and there, and I had never heard the song, but to be honest it didn't even matter. The music transcended language as well as brain change. In that moment, we all connected to one another through the music. As they carried out the final notes, the patient's son laughed and suggested that his dad was just trying to prove him wrong to "show off".

Seriously, it was so cool to see this man engage with the music and his family with a huge smile on his face. If you are caring for someone living with dementia, I highly recommend you try using music (with the suggested adaptations above) as a way to connect with them. Music moves our souls, despite dementia.

As always, if you would like more information on this topic or have success stories to share, please message me.

Take good care.

Rebekah Wilson, MSW
Aging Care Coach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Dementia: Part 2

There was too much to share about dementia & holiday planning in the last post, so I wanted to share more in a follow-up. Here we go, let's be real here... Many of us have a Norman Rockwell scene in our heads when we plan for the holidays.  Am I right?  In reality, our family scenes look more like a combination of  Everybody loves Raymond, Rosanne, and the Sopranos.  The holidays can be overstimulating and emotional for many of us. When caring for someone who is living with dementia, it can be tempting to overdue All. The. Things. Especially our expectations. (Warning: Real Talk!) As we watch a loved one decline with dementia, it's natural to wonder if this could *gulp* be their last holiday. Consequently, we have the dangerous combination of heightened expectations mixed with sadness that dementia is slowly taking away our loved one.  Caregiver grief rises and is often masked by the desire to make the most of the day, the holiday. Generally speaki

Sexuality in Dementia

I'm going to be real here... The reality of the situation is that I have avoided blogging about this topic for months because it such a difficult topic. It's not difficult because I find the topic uncomfortable. I am not a prude, per se. We are adults. And by now, you all know I'm all about tacking tough topics of dementia care. The reason I've avoided writing about the topic is because there is absolutely no way that I can wrap this topic up in 750 words with a pretty little bow on top. No way, it's much too complex for that.  To start, "Sexuality in Dementia" encompasses such a wide variety of issues...foul/sexual language, suggestive comments, touching self/others, exposing self/others, masturbation, requesting sexual acts, and extra-marital relations when the person living with dementia no longer recalls they have a living spouse/partner and have found a new companion... to name a few.  See what I mean? That's quite a variety of situa

“You want me to lie to my Dad?”

“You want me to lie to my Dad?” Yes. Well, no not really. I like to consider it a therapeutic fib, rather than a “lie”. Some may consider it a lie. I don’t really care what we call it as long as it is done taking their brain changes in mind with the focus on what is most supportive for the person living with dementia.  Following a recent presentation on “Transitions Along the Journey of Dementia”, a participant came up to discuss her situation. She shared that her father, who is now living with moderate dementia, repeatedly asks about his parents. To date, she has explained that his parents are deceased. She went on to tell me that in order to disrupt the pattern of this repetitive question, earlier that day she had placed photographs of both of his parents’ grave stones on his dresser mirror. After hearing me talk about “joining the journey” rather than “reality orientation”, she asked me if I thought she should remove the pictures. I mustered as much compassion and g