Skip to main content

The Real Risks of Wandering





Friends, I see news stories almost daily about individuals living with dementia who wander away from the safety of their care partners. Many times they are found safely, but there are many stories where the story ends tragically. The Alzheimer's Association states that SIX out of ten individuals living with dementia will wander. They go on to say that half of those who wander, half will experience serious injury or death if not found within twenty-four hours.

These statistics are alarming. For over half of those living with dementia, the question is not IF but WHEN they will wander. The risk is real, yet many care partners assume wandering is not a risk for their loved one. Let's just put this into perspective a little... If you knew with 50% certainty that a child was at risk for being kidnapped, would you ignore the risk? I don't know of anyone caring for small children who would ignore this risk without putting some safety precautions in place. This comparison may seem overly dramatic to you but I feel that it is a fair analogy. Many times families allow situations to escalate to a point where clinicians like myself consider bordering on neglect/abuse.

Caring for someone living with dementia is NOT easy. Y'all, it's a marathon not a sprint. I get it, it is hard to manage care and safety for someone whose brain is dying 24 hours x 7 days week x 2-20 years. Yes, I said that right, dementia (brain failure) can last 2-20 years. I understand that it is hard to manage safety for a person living with dementia who will unknowingly put themselves in unsafe situations. That's why I often say that no ONE person alone can manage care for someone living with dementia for the duration of the disease. In addition to enlisting others to assist with care, it is essential for care partners to understand that part of the disease process is that the sense of curiosity remains intact while safety awareness diminishes.

As my dementia mentor, the world renowned guru, Teepa Snow explains - human beings develop curiosity first then safety awareness. We lose these in the reverse order. Consider a small child learning to navigate the world around them. They develop curiosity for the world around them, desiring to walk across the street without looking both ways, sticking their little fingers inside that electrical outlet, cuddling up to a dangerous animal, exploring what setting exists at the bottom of those stairs. We recognize that they are naturally curious and that it is the responsibility of those around them to keep them safe. When a person's brain is dying because of dementia (a progressive degenerative disease process resulting in brain failure and death) they lose their safety awareness before they lose their curiosity.

Before I go further, please understand that my comparison to a child is to explain the order in which the brains of human beings develop and die with dementia. I am in no way saying that adults living with dementia are children. They are adults that deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. At the same time, we must understand what is happening to their brains. If we stick with the analogy to a child, someone may argue that you can tell a child to look both ways before they cross the street, not put their finger in that outlet, recognize that cuddly animal may not be so friendly and to not go down the stairs unattended. Since they are learning and retaining new information, they will learn necessary safety awareness. Now, consider the person living with dementia who is not only losing safety awareness but also changes in their abilities to obtain and store new information.

Less dementia-aware care partners will rely on tactics like this... "Honey, I'm running to the grocery for a few items. While I'm gone, I need you to stay here. OK? Stay here. Will you promise to stay here while I'm gone? Yes, ok, great. Repeat after me 'I'm gonna stay here while you run to the store'. Understand?" The person living with brain changes nods, repeats, and agrees. Unfortunately, their brains may not be able to retain that information. So, fifteen minutes later they wonder where their care partner went, they get concerned and they go outside to look for them... and that's how easily these wandering situations happen. Even the most well-meaning care partner can experience this, which is why this topic is so important and must be taken seriously.

I'm going to jump off this soapbox (for now). If you would like more information on safety issues like wandering, comment below or reach out to me at  rebekah@agingcarecoach.com.

Take good care friends and please don't become a statistic.

Rebekah Wilson, MSW
Aging Care Coach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Dementia: Part 2

There was too much to share about dementia & holiday planning in the last post, so I wanted to share more in a follow-up. Here we go, let's be real here... Many of us have a Norman Rockwell scene in our heads when we plan for the holidays.  Am I right?  In reality, our family scenes look more like a combination of  Everybody loves Raymond, Rosanne, and the Sopranos.  The holidays can be overstimulating and emotional for many of us. When caring for someone who is living with dementia, it can be tempting to overdue All. The. Things. Especially our expectations. (Warning: Real Talk!) As we watch a loved one decline with dementia, it's natural to wonder if this could *gulp* be their last holiday. Consequently, we have the dangerous combination of heightened expectations mixed with sadness that dementia is slowly taking away our loved one.  Caregiver grief rises and is often masked by the desire to make the most of the day, the holiday. Generally speaki

Sexuality in Dementia

I'm going to be real here... The reality of the situation is that I have avoided blogging about this topic for months because it such a difficult topic. It's not difficult because I find the topic uncomfortable. I am not a prude, per se. We are adults. And by now, you all know I'm all about tacking tough topics of dementia care. The reason I've avoided writing about the topic is because there is absolutely no way that I can wrap this topic up in 750 words with a pretty little bow on top. No way, it's much too complex for that.  To start, "Sexuality in Dementia" encompasses such a wide variety of issues...foul/sexual language, suggestive comments, touching self/others, exposing self/others, masturbation, requesting sexual acts, and extra-marital relations when the person living with dementia no longer recalls they have a living spouse/partner and have found a new companion... to name a few.  See what I mean? That's quite a variety of situa

“You want me to lie to my Dad?”

“You want me to lie to my Dad?” Yes. Well, no not really. I like to consider it a therapeutic fib, rather than a “lie”. Some may consider it a lie. I don’t really care what we call it as long as it is done taking their brain changes in mind with the focus on what is most supportive for the person living with dementia.  Following a recent presentation on “Transitions Along the Journey of Dementia”, a participant came up to discuss her situation. She shared that her father, who is now living with moderate dementia, repeatedly asks about his parents. To date, she has explained that his parents are deceased. She went on to tell me that in order to disrupt the pattern of this repetitive question, earlier that day she had placed photographs of both of his parents’ grave stones on his dresser mirror. After hearing me talk about “joining the journey” rather than “reality orientation”, she asked me if I thought she should remove the pictures. I mustered as much compassion and g