Skip to main content

Hope for the Future

Friends, I have to share a glimmer of hope with you. Over the past four months, I have had the opportunity to be an online mentor/coach for undergraduate students at Arizona State University taking an elective course on dementia. The course is taught by the amazing and brilliant Dr. Gillian Hamilton from Hospice of the Valley (HOV), a not-for-profit hospice in Phoenix, Arizona. I previously had the privilege of serving under Dr. Hamilton’s leadership years ago when I served as the Social Worker with the Dementia Program at HOV. During those five years, the foundation of my dementia care career was formed by Dr. Hamilton and the two phenomenally smart and caring nurse practitioners who have both since obtained Doctorates in Nursing Practice. Y’all, these women are remarkably talented and dedicated to improving care for those living their last months and years with dementia. They are my tribe and my career has been ever-shaped by the years spent working alongside them.

Last summer when Dr. Hamilton asked if I wanted to be a part of this new college course they were offering at Arizona State University, my alma matter, I jumped at the opportunity. In this inaugural course offering, we had 12 undergraduates register for the course. Recall that I said this was considered an upper level elective, yet the course was geared to pre-med students and other healthcare-based majors. Throughout the semester, the learners attended class once each week where they learned different aspects of dementia and care approaches from a variety of disciplines - CNAs, nurses, social workers, and doctors. Additionally, they were assigned a patient living with dementia, whom they visited each week for 2-4 hours depending on what the patient could tolerate.


At the beginning of the semester, I flew to Phoenix to teach one of the initial classes of the semester. My focus for the class was on approaching the person with dementia in a way that helps them feel comfortable. Many of us naturally approach in a way that is perceived as aggressive which will immediately impact the ability to connect. Additionally, I distributed the patient assignments to the students. Their assignment packet consisted of a few pieces of paper which told them very basic information about their assigned patient – essentially age, address, latest cognitive assessment score and their “About Me” a fact-sheet of biographical information including career, hobbies, important people in their lives, etc. When I distributed the packets, I asked the students to review the information and pick out one thing to share with the class they found interesting and/or a potential common ground with their patient. Over the next week, I met each student at their assigned patient’s home for the introductory visit. 

Many of these students have never been around someone with dementia, and most had never done a “home visit”. I served as as a facilitator for these introductions,  modeled engagement strategies and helped the student and primary caregiver formulate a plan for weekly visits. Following the introductory meetings, my role as their online coach/mentor was to read/grade their journal entries each week and follow up with the students and/or HOV staff as needed. For instance, I offered suggestions if they were experiencing challenges and encouraged additional ways of engaging their assigned patient.

Why am I rattling on and on about this in my blog? I’ll tell you – because it has given me such hope for the future. These students were sponges and learned so much through this experience. I believe whole-heartedly that these young people will be better doctors, nurses, social workers, physical/occupational therapists, and human beings because of this experience. Their journal entries have shown insightful reflections of their patients – ways they have connected with them as well as signs of disease progression. Additionally, each learner has shared how this experience has benefited them – either currently by providing a bright spot in their week full of stressful studies or their future aspirations.

It has been so special for me to be a part of this process. Last week I flew to Phoenix for the final class session of the course, where I lead a discussion about their experiences. I asked them to consider what they hoped to get out of this class when we started in August, what they actually got out of the class, their biggest fears heading into the class and their best moment with their assigned patient. As we wrapped up the discussion, I asked each student to explain how this course would shape their future practice. I can't tell you how amazing it was to hear each student share about their experience and how this will shape their future. A theme that surfaced repeatedly was that the students learned to see their patient as more than their diagnosis. They expected to learn pathophysiology and instead learned valuable lessons in humanity.

These are very special young people - who will someday be our doctors, nurses, therapists and friends. And I'm here to tell you, they will be great at whatever they do. Anyone lucky enough to know them will receive benefits from what these young learners experienced in this undergraduate elective course. The best part - we already have a full class enrolled for next semester which we capped at 20 students.

In the dementia care world, where there is no cure and currently no treatments to alter the course of the disease, hope comes in small ways. With the twelve students finishing this course and the 20 starting in January, my hope grows. I hope yours will as well.

Take good care, friends.

Aging Care Coach
Rebekah Wilson, MSW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Dementia: Part 2

There was too much to share about dementia & holiday planning in the last post, so I wanted to share more in a follow-up. Here we go, let's be real here... Many of us have a Norman Rockwell scene in our heads when we plan for the holidays.  Am I right?  In reality, our family scenes look more like a combination of  Everybody loves Raymond, Rosanne, and the Sopranos.  The holidays can be overstimulating and emotional for many of us. When caring for someone who is living with dementia, it can be tempting to overdue All. The. Things. Especially our expectations. (Warning: Real Talk!) As we watch a loved one decline with dementia, it's natural to wonder if this could *gulp* be their last holiday. Consequently, we have the dangerous combination of heightened expectations mixed with sadness that dementia is slowly taking away our loved one.  Caregiver grief rises and is often masked by the desire to make the most of the day, the holiday. Generally speaki

Sexuality in Dementia

I'm going to be real here... The reality of the situation is that I have avoided blogging about this topic for months because it such a difficult topic. It's not difficult because I find the topic uncomfortable. I am not a prude, per se. We are adults. And by now, you all know I'm all about tacking tough topics of dementia care. The reason I've avoided writing about the topic is because there is absolutely no way that I can wrap this topic up in 750 words with a pretty little bow on top. No way, it's much too complex for that.  To start, "Sexuality in Dementia" encompasses such a wide variety of issues...foul/sexual language, suggestive comments, touching self/others, exposing self/others, masturbation, requesting sexual acts, and extra-marital relations when the person living with dementia no longer recalls they have a living spouse/partner and have found a new companion... to name a few.  See what I mean? That's quite a variety of situa

“You want me to lie to my Dad?”

“You want me to lie to my Dad?” Yes. Well, no not really. I like to consider it a therapeutic fib, rather than a “lie”. Some may consider it a lie. I don’t really care what we call it as long as it is done taking their brain changes in mind with the focus on what is most supportive for the person living with dementia.  Following a recent presentation on “Transitions Along the Journey of Dementia”, a participant came up to discuss her situation. She shared that her father, who is now living with moderate dementia, repeatedly asks about his parents. To date, she has explained that his parents are deceased. She went on to tell me that in order to disrupt the pattern of this repetitive question, earlier that day she had placed photographs of both of his parents’ grave stones on his dresser mirror. After hearing me talk about “joining the journey” rather than “reality orientation”, she asked me if I thought she should remove the pictures. I mustered as much compassion and g